Sustainably is at the core of everything that goes on in the ROMMY studio.
We take pride in using innovative methods in manufacture and packaging, and endeavour to reuse and repurpose across all elements of the business. Because as Sophia Amoruso once said:
'Do all that you can with all that you have and you'll find yourself with more than you could ever dream of'.
Below are a few of the steps ROMMY has taken in it's sustainability journey so far:
- You don't have to worry that sustainability will necessarily limit creativity because for ROMMY, it feeds it. Our collections are made from either remnant, deadstock or vintage fabrics. Some are made from preloved or vintage garments, deconstructed to be given a new life. This makes each piece super limited or one of a kind.
- To avoid any wastage and to utilise fabric as wisely as possible, each piece is made to order especially for you.
- The invisible thread used to finish each scrunchie once belonged to Jen's Great Aunt Mary. The reel was found in her sewing box that I inherited 12 years ago.
- All thread used is recycled cotton.
Small = sustainable. As a one woman band, CTL is more conscious in it's every day practices. Printing anything off is avoided and we recycle as much as possible.
ROMMY is run from Jen's home studio, so there's no wasted office lighting or heating - she knows where the jumpers are kept!
All of the studio furniture was salved, including the giant sewing table we made from salvaged wardrobe doors.
The photography backdrop boards are made from reclaimed woodchip that we cover in different wallpapers for photoshoots.
- All of the little studio trinkets and treasures were sourced second-hand, picked up in charity shops and at carboots.
- Out and about on buying trips we always have our reusable shopping totes at the ready. We avoid carbon transport and where possible walk, cycle or take public transport.
All ROMMY packaging is sustainably sourced and can be repurposed or reused.
Jen's business cards are made from cotton t-shirt off-cuts.
Every element of ROMMY packaging is recyclable or biodegradable.
Each accessory is placed into a pouch made from magazine pages sewn together.